Thursday, 2 April 2015

"Why don't you write proper stories?"

"Why don't you write proper stories!" my mum used to complain, "like the ones in Woman's Weekly and People's Friend!" Back then I was in my twenties with a toddler, a typewriter, and ideas that, since my earliest years, had focused on Greek and Roman mythologies and history, or cowboys, or spaceships. My years in my local grammar school did nothing to wean me off any of them, or my compulsion to create fiction. Quite the opposite - they reinforced my wish/need/hunger to write.

Unfortunately for Mum, the stories she wanted me to write were fluffy domestic romances featuring women who longed for a man in their life to take care of her, to fulfill her life by keeping house for him, cook his meals, bear his children. He would sweep her off her feet - possibly force her into a relationship or marriage. After various misunderstandings and other setbacks, he would fall in love with her, worship the ground she walked on because she was the Perfect Wife and Mother...

Um, yes. So not my thing, then or now. There are lots of great authors out there filling that particular romance niche, with or without a spicing of erotica and/or kink. Okay, I do write the occasional fluffy romance, but my leads are men - and perfect wives and mothers do not feature.


I've learned a lot over the years - and I'm still learning. It's an ongoing process, and a hell of a lot of fun as well as hard work. Yes, sitting in front of a computer screen trying to create a believable story with sympathetic characters is hard work. Who'd have thought it? Mum would never have believed it, that's for sure.



One of the best known forms of autism is Asperger Syndrome. People with the condition are often of average or above-average intelligence. They have fewer speech problems than people with other types of autism, but may find it difficult to understand and process language.

No comments:

Post a Comment