Friday, 14 February 2014

A Hopless Blog...



This was going to be part of a Blog Hop, but unfortunately I had to drop out. Still, why waste the four questions that had been posed when I can inflict them on anyone who reads my blogs, hm?



Sooo, this is the way the Quinton mind works...



What are you working on?



Right now I have a lot on my writing plate. I'm three-quarters through the first draft of Greymalkin, the first in my Melusine's Cats series, a contemporary paranormal set in Devon, England. I'm also co-writing Heat with RJ Scott, a
contemporary m/m romance set in my home city of Salisbury, also in England. And I'm co-writing Against The Tide with Terri Beckett, a paranormal m/m cop story set in Tampa, Florida. Then there's my cowboy m/m romance set in New Mexico - it does have a title, but I'm hugging it close at the moment *g*, along with another idea that bit me a few days ago. On the editing front, I'm about to get stuck into the edits for my Undercover Blues story for Manifold Press, and any day now the edits for my sort story In The Dog House for the Dreamspinner anthology, Not Quite Shakespeare will be arriving in my In Box.


Then there's all the other stuff cluttering the shelves in my Plotting Shed, WiPs and rough outlines as well as copious research notes.


How does your work differ from others of its genre? 

Whether the genre is paranormal, contemporary or science fiction  most of my m/m stories centre around a meeting of equals, two strong men coming together. The dynamics that shape their relationships, the give and take as they work out how they mesh their lives to forge a lasting relationship, fascinate me and form the core of my stories.



Why do you write what you do?


I love the freedom that writing about two heroes gives me, a freedom I didn't feel when I wrote m/f romance. Also, there's the wanting to make a difference thing. I'd love it if romances featuring two men hit the mainstream.



How does your writing process work?


The first thing is usually a scene that pops into my head. Then I have to find out who these men are, their names - very important, that - and where they're coming from. Then I need the title. For some reason the title is necessary to me. It grounds the story in my head. I usually have the basics in my head. I know the start, I usually have the finish, and key scenes in between. But nothing is carved in stone. Often angles and twists will appear out of the blue, things I hadn't consciously thought out but just seem to appear on the screen. The major drawback is that I'm a very slow writer! I wish I could get my work out there quicker, but so far I haven't managed to speed up.


~ * ~

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Claire :) So glad you like my stories. But I do get a bit frustrated with how slow I am sometimes...

    ReplyDelete