Monday, 1 April 2013

I'm Prejudiced And Proud Of It





If you'd like to be in a draw to win all three of my Fool vampire stories in Mobi or PDF, leave a comment on my blog along with your contact email, and I'll make the draw on May 1st.

When I first started working as a civilian support staffer at my local Police Divisional Headquarters way back in the 80s, for the first time prejudice was aimed at me. I was a woman, and I was a civilian. I wasn't entirely sure which was lowest on the scale in the eyes of the predominantly testosterone-fueled police force back then. If I'd been a policewoman and unmarried, it would have been automatically assumed I was a lesbian. Anyone who saw the British TV shows Life On Mars and Ashes To Ashes will know what I'm talking about.

But times change, and surprisingly quickly. Ten years later, those particular attitudes had disappeared, and at least two lesbians - one a sergeant, the other a Chief Inspector - had gained justified promotions and the respect of their peers. Skin colour was no longer a problem - as long as they were part of the police community. But eventually that changed for the better as well.

There were still isolated incidents, of course, and when some of us met them, we challenged them head-on and would not give ground. By the time I retired from my job, the up and coming generation of police officers were a hell of a lot more accepting of differences. BUT there is still a long way to go.

The next time I had prejudice aimed at me personally was at a small fannish convention centred on a handful of TV shows. Now, I'm no spring chicken - as old as dirt, as a friend says about herself - but I'd been writing in a couple of [now more or less defunct] fandoms for a long time, and I'd won awards. I was the oldest person there by many a year. The youngest ones gave me the cold shoulder, the questioning stares, the sniggers - why was this old bat here? - until they were told my then pen-name. They visibly struggled to relate my stories to the old bat in the room with them.

I still encounter prejudice here at home. My family Do Not Approve of my choice of writing genre.

If you've read this far, you'll know my experiences are laughably mild compared to the hatred and vitriol aimed at others. It is wrong. It is cruel, blind and destructive, and rooted in fear. In this 21st century the human race should have grown out of its petty tribalism that condemns anything other than the perceived norm, be it colour, creed, gender, physical or mental differences. It hasn't, and prejudice should no longer be tolerated.

So I am standing up to announce I'm prejudiced against prejudice. And I'm prejudiced against bigotry. And you know what? I am proud of it.

~ * ~

Now for the advertising section!

On March 19th 2013 Starfall reached the end of its two year contract with Silver Publishing, and all rights have reverted to me - so I have self-published it under the auspices of my Kouros Books label, along with a brand new cover from the talented Meredith Russell!

Starfall is available from Amazon, All Romance e-Books and Smashwords, and because it is a re-release, I'm offering it for a couple of bucks LESS than the 1st edition's selling price.

Buy from All Romance e-Books HERE

Buy from Amazon HERE


~ * ~

Ash is looking for his sister. He refuses to accept she's dead and he's come halfway across the galaxy to the lakes of Vermont in search of her.

Faye and Conn are on the trail of an underage runaway who has no intention of going back to Florida with them.

They all meet up in Amassol, Vermont. When Ash and Conn encounter each other, the attraction is immediate and almost overwhelming.  It's also impossible. Ash's mission and Conn's assignment, as well as rival street gangs, make sure of that.







15 comments:

  1. I think everyone should be free to live as who they truly are, not what others THINK they should. =}

    ReplyDelete
  2. i do agree with patricia in that everyone should be free to live AND be who they are ment to be

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pablo Michaels1 April 2013 at 17:31

    I agree too. People should be able to be themselves freely with acceptance by all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I encountered so much prejudice as a very old, black graduate student. Everyone assumed I was there on some special program. I finally had to tell them: "I'm a Fellow. I'm here because of my nosebleed GPA, and a GRE score that was so high, the tester came out to look at me. So, i get better scores than you on tests designed for you. Plus I wrote a devastating admittance essay. Oh, and I'm not poor, I retired at age 47." And I kicked their asses, too. Because, you know, I'm OLD! I schooled them, and the professors would back me up, because these kids were young. And amazingly prejudiced.
    Urb
    brendurbanist at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super post, Chris. Petty tribalism is right. I don't understand why so many people don't seem to be happy unless they have someone else to look down on.

    Is there a problem with RJ's blog? I just get a plain white page.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post. My daughter is not accepted for her sexuality at times and I just do not understand it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "So I am standing up to announce I'm prejudiced against prejudice. And I'm prejudiced against bigotry. And you know what? I am proud of it." I'm standing with you Chris!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I talked about prejudice so much today I have run out of interesting thoughts. This is a great campaign and hope it raises awareness for the issue.

    Thanks Karl
    slats5653(at)shaw(dot)ca

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Chris,
    I haven't been a victim of prejudice, but I witnessed it many times. Usually in form of some thoughtless, derogative words about people of different race, nationality, religion or political option. It always makes my blood boil and I feel offended that some bigot would consider me a pal and receptive listener to his/her vitriol.
    Usually I make my opinion clear and when some people look at me as I was a freak, some others will maybe think twice when saying something offensive in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't been a victim of prejudice that often. Great post


    smurfettev AT gmail DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really thought-provoking post--I'm glad that you're soldiering on with your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your post. Am I allowed to enter the drawing? :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your post, too. My dad and step-mother do not approve of my editing, yet mum is loud and proud about it. I hear prejudiced comments from him all the time about lesbians, people who don't have degrees, and mental illness. I know he is unlikely to change, but I thank the gods/goddesses every day for my mother and sister.
    I love your writing. Don't give up!

    ReplyDelete
  14. {hugs} you - thanks, Alison :-) I won't stop writing fiction any time soon, not until I'm too decrepit to see the screen or paper, and use a keyboard or a pen/pencil. Prejudice comes in all shapes and sizes, from the petty in my case to the horrific bullying and suicides and murders. Loving support is essential in all cases, and I am so happy that some of your family are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Chris Quinton1 May 2013 at 10:24

    W have a winner! I've made the draw, and Urb's name came out of the hat. I've emailed you, Urb, for your preferred format *g*.


    Thank you everyone for joining in!

    ReplyDelete