Thursday, 14 February 2013

ALOES - NOW ON AMAZON!


Great News! Manifold Press is expanding into Amazon! Not all of the titles are up there yet, but the eight that have been uploaded so far include my contemporary paranormal novel, ALOES.

For a small, run-on-a-shoestring press, Manifold's titles have won a lot of prestigious awards, and I am chuffed to be part of their coterie of authors.

ALOES

A fluke accident puts Perry in a coma. When he awakes, his scrambled synapses have given him a talent; he can tell truth from lies. This, plus the new client, Drew Connors, who is too attractive for Perry's peace of mind, Drew's contentious family and the dilapidated old mansion Perry has to restore for him, not to mention the anonymous threats that escalate to attempted murder, all ensure that Perry's life will never be the same again.
Excerpt

Chapter One

"What the hell?" I was too mad for my howl of outrage to be anything other than a harsh screech. Cray and the twink separated with something less than style and grace.
"Perry--hi--" Cray started, hitching up his pants and fumbling his zipper closed. "I--uh--it isn't like it looks, I swear!" His curly brown hair was disheveled, and the flush of arousal was rapidly draining from his cherubic face, leaving him pale with shock.
"No? Because to me it looks like a train-wreck! You bastard! You're screwing that little fruit-fly on our couch!"
"No!"
Since the kid was bare-assed naked, the denial was a waste of breath. And the last straw. The large earthenware pot of zinnias I'd bought him for our back porch was conveniently in my hand and I threw it as if I was trying out for the New York Giants. It missed his head by inches and shattered against the wall, showering him with compost, shards and bright flowers. "Stick that in your scrapbook, Romeo!" I hissed. "You better be gone by the time I get back or I won't be responsible for your asses!"
Seconds later, I was in my Mercedes 4x4 SUV and accelerating away with tires screeching. Two minutes later, a cop pulled me over. A sympathetic and familiar cop. Joe Hardinger was a training buddy from the gym I used when I didn't want to run circuits round the park, and sometimes he'd join me on those runs. I was too hurt and angry to censor my tongue, so the poor bastard got the whole sob-story whether he wanted it or not.
His sympathy survived my verbal onslaught and as I calmed down, I realized I was being not-so-subtly checked out. Even though he and Cray had never met, Cray not being into regular exercise, Joe knew that I was half of a same-sex couple, and I was fairly sure I'd have noticed if he'd done it before. I'd automatically assumed he was straight. That's the thing with my gaydar. Even on a good day, it didn't work so well.
 


~ * ~


No comments:

Post a Comment