Saturday, 1 December 2012

A Christmas Memory



RJ's Christmas Blog Hop - click on the Hop Image to be taken to a fascinating mix of Christmas memories, stories, and Christmas favorites. 

Here's One of my Christmas Memories... 

It had been a crappy couple of years, to put it mildly. My mum had died in December two years previously, and my stepfather, after making my life hell for eighteen months, had also popped his clogs in the summer - unmourned by me, I have to add. Looking back with the hindsight of over twenty years, it's obvious now that senile decay had added a few more twists to an already unpleasant personality. The best thing I could say about him is that, while he was a possessive, controlling, vindictive man, he worshipped the ground my mum walked on.

My grandsons weren't in the picture - the first one wouldn't be born for several years yet. Son and DinL were spending Christmas Day with her parents, and although I'd been invited, I cried off. Selfishly, perhaps, I wanted the peace and quiet in my own space. I'd put up a few decorations, bought a bottle of wine and cooked a small turkey, had some videos to watch.

So there I was, in a large house with my ginger cat, Giddy, for company. We shared the turkey, watched the videos, and just chilled. It was theraputic, healing, and Mum felt very close to me.

That was the first and last Christmas I spent alone. And you know what? It was the best Christmas I'd had since my son's first Christmas. Since then, of course, I've had some equally great days, but that one, with just me, Giddy and the turkey [and Mum *g*], has a very special place in my memories.

~~~ * ~~~

On the run-up to Christmas is a good time to feature Home And Heart

To win this ebook, or your choice of my backlist, just leave a comment to this post, not forgetting to leave your email address.


From Silver Publishing
- AVAILABLE HERE

Deep in the Cotswolds in the heart of England, Ben Elliot settles in for a quiet Christmas house-sitting and caring for an elderly woman's two dogs while she's away. When her black-sheep grandson, Adam Prescott, turns up on the doorstep, Ben takes in the human stray as well. Destitute and betrayed by family, boyfriend, and Fate, Adam has lost all faith in others, and in himself.

Determined to help, Ben soon loses his heart to the other man and believes Adam has feelings for him, too. Then Adam's ex shows up, offering him the world if only Adam will come back to him. Now Ben must choose whether to step aside, or reach for the only gift he wants this Christmas.


Christmas may not be a time of celebration for Ben.




19 comments:

  1. I can imagine the Christmas with just the cat and memories! It sounds peaceful and warm! Here's my email:

    harlequinandyarrow@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. i can totally relate to a crappy christmas. in 2010 i lost both my parents with my mom dying on dec 23. it's taken till NOW for me to want to celebrate christmas again


    parisfan_ca@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your memory...Hopefully we can turn crappy memories around.
    Yvette
    yratpatrol@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing...it's always hard to lose someone but around the holidays it seems tougher and unfair.


    raynman1979 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes we just have to have time to ourselves, sounds like you needed it

    Littlesuze at hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing your memories and for participating. I hope you have a Merry Christmas this year.

    Amanda ~ peanutty222@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes I enjoy the Christmases when I have a cold, so I can relax and get some peace! Happy holidays...


    vitajex(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I spent a few Christmases with just me and my dog. Kinda bittersweet, but the memories are peaceful and serene. Thank you for sharing your story!

    brendurbanist at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it's really lovely that you were able to feel so close to your mom and find peace in the holiday.



    JYL22075 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing. And your story sounds great to read!

    Deborah H
    Deborahhansen52@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing your memories. Sometimes, a little alone time can be very therapeutic. Hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas. :)


    lkbherring64(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Holidays without someone you loved can be hard, I'm glad you were able to heal with Giddy & some alone time.


    drainbamaged.gyzmo at gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing such a personal memory that was bittersweet but healing to you.

    strive4bst(At) yahoo(Dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the cover of the book, very pretty :)

    penumbrareads(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aw, thanks for sharing with us. :)
    Please count me in~

    Judi
    arella3173_loveless@yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  16. "popped his clogs" That's a good one, I'll have to remember that. Sometimes it is just best to be alone with your thoughts and memories. Wish my girls would understand that.

    ocanana@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for sharing such a sad but hopeful memory. I would love a chance to win! Thanks for participating in the hop!
    OceanAkers @ aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks Chris, for sharing with us. Hope your holidays this year is going to be a happy one.

    ~Rush~
    taina@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice post.

    Thanks for the giveaway.

    bn100candg(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete