Friday, 18 May 2012

Hop Against Homophobia - Unofficial

I'm not officially a part of the Hop - I've been travelling away from home too much recently to get myself organised and sign up for it, but it's been there in the back of my head for days. Maybe for years in various forms.

http://hopagainsthomophobia.blogspot.co.uk/

Why am I so fervently waving the Rainbow Flag in suppost of the GLBT community? Because I hate bigotry and injustice. I hate the cynical abuse of power by those in positions of authority to either fail to protect the vulnerable in their care, or actively work against those whom they have decided do not fit their idea of 'normal', often to score a political or religious advantage. Just as damaging in the long run are the casual everyday throwaway comments by thoughtless people.

Just because my son was born straight doesn't mean I don't have to stand beside those who weren't. Who knows, one of my grandsons might turn out to be gay or bi or transgender. It will make no difference to me or their parents - we love them and accept them for who they are, and that will never change.
 
Just because I'm a straight woman, doesn't mean I can't identify with those in the GLBT community who suffer outright homophobia and those tiny everyday snide remarks and insults. I've had workplace discrimination and scorn aimed at me for being a woman, for being a pagan, for being old. On a small scale, yes, but there. It made me angry every time it happened. So why should I hold back and do nothing when I see it aimed at others?

This is my note on my FaceBook profile

To All Those Who Have Friended Me...

by Chris Quinton on Thursday, 27 October 2011 at 12:56 ·

It's great that I have so many friends of all political and religious leanings, of different races and shades of colour, of all genders and the whole range of sexuality on the Kinsey scale. I care about you all.

I would like to state here and now that:

I support passionately the right of same sex couples to marry if they choose to do so.
I am equally passionate about loathing the bigotry and cruelty that drives children and adults to take their own lives.

I love and admire the courage of those in the public spotlight who stand up and say, "I'm gay."

I have nothing but contempt for the so-called religious people who use their religion to justify their bigotry and cruelty.

I have nothing but contempt for those so-called religious people who attempt to impose their version of religion on others.

If any on my friends list take issue with any of the above statements, please unfriend me as soon as possible.

Blessed be
Chris

6 comments:

  1. Well said, Chris!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris,
    I rather like your FB statement. And I agree that the problem belongs to all of us, and we should all stand up against it. Happy to see you hopping, even 'unoffically'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with every statement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wait... you're old? No you're not...

    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  5. unofficially or not welcome aboard, the more people having their say the more people will get to read about it. Thank you for taking the time to post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your post made me start crying, in a good way. Thank you for your support. From one unofficial HAH blogger to another. ---wtprater

    ReplyDelete