Thursday, 5 January 2012

Finding Titles

Titles are funny things, and finding the right one for any given story can be a pain in the arse. Or ass, depending on where you live. For me, if the chosen title fits, it can centre the story, define it and lock it into its coherent whole. The wrong title, even a simple working label, can niggle away at the back of my mind like a maggot on speed.

Take Riding for a Fall in my WiP folder:

Blurb - Luke Petrie is back home in Oakford, running the family bookstore. His ex-wife is about to go abroad for a lengthy period, so his young daughter comes to stay. Which is great as far as they are both concerned. Luke has no romantic interest in his life, until he reconnects with the first boy he crushed on. The trouble is, Steve is no more interested in him now than he was then.
~ * ~

 Thing is, although horses and riding does/will happen in the story, it's not the main focus. The choices Luke and Steve make are. So Riding for a Fall has now become Taking a Chance, and I'm a lot happier with it.

As a footnote, I took the above pic a year or so ago. The two indulging in the mutual grooming bonding session are geldings. The mare in the foreground was being totally ignored *g*.

~ * ~

4 comments:

  1. Sometimes when working on a WIP a title is automatic and sticks...other times I am almost finished before the title hits me. I guess I need to get to know the characters and their story before I can honestly say "Yeah, that's it!"

    Great blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. *nods* That's the way it sometimes happens - the title is *there* right from the start and is perfect. I don't often have trouble, but when I do, it really messes with my head *g*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the picture. And you're right about that title thing. It has to be right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the new title also, and you always have the best pictures on your site, they always make me want to plan a vacation and go sightseeing!

    ReplyDelete